Post To Tumblr from Tweetdeck

The latest version of Tweetdeck, a popular Twitter client, now allows users to post to their Tumblr and WordPress.com blogs.

In this video, I review how to set up a new Tweetdeck account and post to a Tumblr blog. This is the same process that you would use to post to a WordPress.com blog. See my notes below the video.

Will you use Tweetdeck to post to your blogs?

Notes

• To post to Tumblr.com, the Twitter Base URL setting is “http://tumblr.com”
  • For WordPress.com, the Twitter Base URL is “twitter-api.wordpress.com.”
This entry was posted in PRO_TIP, Social, Toolbox, Training, Twitter, Video, Web Marketing, Web/Tech, Weblogs and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Post To Tumblr from Tweetdeck

1. Abram says:

Jesse, just want to say “thanks” for posting on how to post to Tumblr from Tweetdeck. I have been searching Google for this info since Friday when the new Tweetdeck version was released. Following your video I was able to successfully add my Tumblr account to Tweetdeck. Big thanks!

2. Daniel says:

Thank you so much. This was beyond helpful, and exactly what I've been looking for in terms of a live dashboard stream!

3. jesseluna says:

Daniel, glad it was useful. I appreciate your stopping by and leaving a comment. Please let me know if you have any other help topics you'd like to see covered on jesseluna.com. ~Jesse

4. Excelente post. A explotar al máximo las propiedades de WP y TweetDeck

5. saab says:

it doesn’t work on me :'( how can i fix it?

6. Do you know if this is still valid for TweetDeck 0.35.1?

When I try to input my Tumblr email (which is my accountname), it won’t allow me to enter the @

7. jesseluna says:

Frederik – For the “username” use your Tumblr blog’s name. For example, if your blog is Frederik.tumblr.com, then use “Frederik” in the “username” field then use your Tumblr password in the “password” field. The base URL is http://tumblr.com. I just set up a new Tumblr account on Tweetdeck v 0.35.1.5. Good luck!

8. Nate Bear says:

Works for me, just wish i could post pictures to Tumblr in-post. Instead i just does a link to Twitpic.

I wish Tumblr had an optional checkbox for posting to Facebook, just like it does on Twitter.

9. Syd Salmon says:

Thanks for the post. I had to read all of the comments to get it to work. You might want to add a short blurb to support the video. Video might not be the optimal format for presenting this info.

• Jesse Luna says:

-@Syd Salmon, thanks for the feedback. I think you’re right, the post could use better text information (and maybe a video transcript). I play with different levels of video content vs. text content to find an optimal balance.
      -Jesse

• Syd Salmon says:

@Jesse Luna, a video transcript is a good idea. You should see increased search engine referral traffic. Automating is the key. A speech recognition tool such as Dragon Dictate could potentially allow you to record and capture the transcript at the same time. If you’re producing your video with Adobe tools. They have transcription in Premier Pro and some of the other tools.

• Jesse Luna says:

Syd- Speech recognition up front is a great idea. Thanks for the tip. I’ve been using YouTube’s built in transcription feature. With YouTube, *if* the video is transcribed, I then take the file, update it, and re-upload it. Several of my other videos include transcriptions. I’m mostly using Camtasia for the tutorials.

10. Martin says:

Jesse the correct base url for wordpress blogs thru twitter is not
    For WordPress.com, the Twitter Base URL is “twitter-api.wordpress.com.”

IT IS: http://twitter-api.wordpress.com

WHEN I USED YOUR URL – IT WOULD NOT COMPLETE VALIDATION.
    ALSO FOR OTHERS AND NOT CLEAR ON VIDEO – YOU MUST PUT IN YOUR WORDPRESS USER ID AND PASSWORD – NOT – THE TWITTER USER ID OR PASSWORD

OTHERWISE – IT WAS A GREAT AND HELPFUL VIDEO
    MANY THANKS

11. Pingback: Whoa. Post to Tumblr from Tweetdeck! http://www.jpluna.com/wordpress/2010/05/21/post-to-tumblr-from-tweetdeck | Tweets

12. chris says:

does not work on latest version. at all.

13. Danielle says:

Chris is right. I just installed v.037.5 and was correctly entering subdomain name from tumblr and the correct password and it will never verify details. Deleted ELS file, launched Tweetdeck as administrator. None of these fixed it.

14. Zaiem says:

hey i tried following your steps, but when i try to enter my email to log into tumblr it wont let me type special characters like “.” or “@”

15. Jesse Luna says:

Tested this out today on v0.37.5. If you go to set up a new “post to Tumblr” account, things are NOT working. It appears that Tumblr now requires an email address for the login and no longer allows the site url base to be passed in as the username.

I just tweeted at @DesktopDeck to see if they will be allowing “@” and “.” characters but that isn’t very likely. Tweetdeck still lists “post to Tumblr” as one of its features so either they don’t know about the problem or haven’t addressed it yet.

I haven’t been keeping track of the evolution of Tumblr’s API methods so not sure when they moved to require email address to allow third party logins.

PLEASE NOTE: I messed up and forgot to test my current setup before deleting it to test things. If you already set things up, it might still be working.

I’ll keep you all posted, thanks for the great feedback on this!

16. Peter Rauh says:

Jesse – any further news/updates on posting to Tumblr from within Tweetdeck?

It’s maddening that the Tweetdeck site promotes the feature but it hasn’t been available for some time now.

Thanks – pr

17. BrianApfel says:

Same here. Can not get it to work with the new version. Annoying. Any updates?

18. Scoleman says:

Same with me!! I am using the new updated version 3.8 and you still can’t add a Tumbler account

19. steve says:

This no longer works on the latest (0.38.1) version as you need to enter the @ sign for user credentials, but TD does not allow this symbol in the twitter credential fields

20. may says:

Hello,

I want to add my tumblr acct to my tweet deck account.
    I have added the username and the password but it does not seem to work.
    I get ‘ah wrong details’ even though I’m plugging in the correct info.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

May

21. jude says:

just got tweetdeck & it seems like a chance to actually USE tumbler – which is a resource i waste. but my deck don’tlooklike your deck – no little strip of accounts, etc…
    only option is “add new twit account” & no url thingy comes along.

you are apparently amazing AND generous, so thanking you ahead of time – or even if left to my own devices til i’m able to use what so many have already!

22. jude says:

ps – ah – mine IS the latest, NOW. and isna so sweet as yours. is this why i just saw some dude on google giving advice on how to get the old tweetdeck?

mebbe you could update this trick for the new set-up?
    thanks.

oh and i don’t know how to get the bird onto my website either, but that would be a really unfair thing to ask given steepness of my learning curve.