The Millennium Development Goals (MDG) were decided upon by 191 countries in 2000. With only 5 years to go, 8 top filmmakers got together to mobilize others into action. They created 8 short videos which were compiled into the feature film “8.” Each of the short stories focuses on one of the MDGs which are:
1) Eradicating extreme poverty and hunger
2) Achieving universal primary education
3) Promoting gender equality
4) Reducing child mortality
5) Improving maternal health
6) Combating HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
7) Ensuring environmental sustainability
8) Creating global partnerships for development
I spent a week at the United Nations in 2002 so I have a very personal connection to this mission and hope to become more involved.
You can find out more about the project by visiting NoTimeLeft.org and by viewing the videos on YouTube.
I was particularly taken with the way the global partnership and develpment video was created. The story was directed by Wim Wenders and is below.