It’s not the size that matters Seth

Marketing Guru Seth Godin is way off on his post today, “You will be misunderstood“, when he writes:

All of which is a way of warning you about microblogging (Twitter, etc.). If you’ve got 140 characters to make your point, the odds are you are going to be misunderstood (a lot).

This point of view is understandable IF YOU HAVE NEVER USED TWITTER.  Before I joined Twitter in April of 2008, I’d run into Twitter micro-posts (“tweets”) and they did look like gibberish because I had no context and I could not figure out the relationships.

Twitter is about relationships.

There are great blogging communities.  But Twitter is a “high maintenance” relationship social network.  The more you interact, reply, and engage, the more you get out of it.  And yes, the more you do that, the more people understand where you’re coming from in 140 characters or less.

Please feel free to leave Comments in 140 characters or less, or leave a video comment in 14 seconds or less so we can reinforce this point.

This entry was posted in Social, Web Marketing, Web/Tech and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to It’s not the size that matters Seth

1. Marifer says:

Good point. I totally agree with you. Twitter is all about relationship building. I always tell people that a great Twitter experience depends on the people you follow and have relationships with. If your network is made of great minds that share and interact with you, then your Twitter experience can only be great.

2. admin says:

Marifer, that’s a good point. It’s not just about the engagement process, it’s about WHO you engage with and form the relationship with. -Jesse

3. Sasha says:

jesse, I want to thank you so much for being so generous in offering to help me with my Humanitarian effort called Luminosity Project. I think I have backing from a University in Canada, it is wait and see…it is my dream to make this happen.

You are a good man, Charlie Brown
    Good Night

4. cengeron says:

You nailed the point on relationships. I often mention a “conversation” I’ve had with a “friend” on twitter and some of my family members or “real world” friends don’t understand how I can have a “friend” with someone I’ve never met face to face. I have also gleaned some amazing information on marketing via 140 characters at a time.

5. krishna says:

I agree completely with you Luna. Twitter is good place to find good place and interact with. One point we need to note is, we need to concentrate on the quality of relationships made in social networking not the quantity.

6. jesse says:

Sasha – Please tell me more about your project! This is a great example of building a creating a relationship on Twitter. I’ve only know Sasha for a few short weeks but we are finding common ground and understanding where we come from.

CEngeron – It’s been great chatting with you on Twitter. Relationships make Twitter worth the time and effort.

Krisna – I think that quality can be measured in may ways including the authenticity of communication and in the reciprocity. If one uses Twitter to dump information and get feedback only, then that is one-sided. Unfortunately, Seth Godin used Twitter that way and didn’t follow anyone back. That was his choice to make but it did not offer him a true glimpse into the dynamics of this platform.

7. Des Walsh says:

Yes, “Homer nodded” there: Twitter is definitely not a case for asking “what would Seth Godin do?”. Twitter really is something you have to *participate* in – both ways, as you say: conversation – just like the conversation I’m having here, which started with your following me on Twitter, which in turn led me to your blog (not, thank goodness, a sales page as so many who don’t “get it” have linked to their Twitter profile), which then led me to reading some posts, commenting etc. Seth and others have 140 character blinkers on: it is *not* about the 140 characters. It’s – about – conversation – and – relationships, Seth.