Please don’t feed the spammers

Spam on the popular microblogging site Twitter is starting to “evolve.”

We’ve all see Twitter spam accounts before – the account follows 2,000 people, maybe a couple of hundred followers (mostly from auto-follows), and only a single tweet with a link to who knows where.

I’ve seen a new spam approach over the past couple of weeks. This is a typical profile:

• The user is following 1,200 people or so
  • Has 600-700+ followers
  • Has 300-500 tweets
  • Is replying to tons of different people

On the surface this looks fairly normal except the account has only been tweeting for a day or two and very few of the people they are replying to ever reply back. I’m guessing they don’t reply because they have no idea who it is.

On the couple of occasions that I did follow a person with that kind of profile, I was usually sorry after a few minutes. I’d receive a DM asking me to go to their site or a request to retweet some product information.

So the bottom line is, look a little deeper when you get a new follow request and avoid feeding into this next wave of spammers.

This entry was posted in Social, Web/Tech and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Please don’t feed the spammers

1. Thanks Jesse!

And you can go one step further by doing the following:

Send DM to @spam with @spamusername in the note

&/OR tweet message with the following in the tweet :

@Twitspamorg @spamusername #twitspam

You can also check for updates on known spammers & M.O.s at:

2. jesse says:

Thanks for leaving those Twitter anti-spam resources Flowersbyfarha!

3. Sure! Sharing on Twitter is how we all learn. 🙂

4. Thanks for sharing your insight and information. You got soul, you got class, you got style, you BAD-ASS:)!

5. jesse says:

Thanks Jackie, you are too kind.

6. Faryl says:

It’s sad how many people feel they have something to gain by “gaming” twitter. I’ve been getting annoyed by the bots that suddenly retweet messages with key words. I usually block them!

Thanks for sharing this!

7. jesse says:

Faryl, it *is* sad. And simple “gaming” is turning into straight out social hacking. For example, two account followed me, then one gave me a “FollowFriday” shout out.

Then, the second account said they knew of me from the first account and asked me to tell my followers about their software package. That’s Bull-hockey.

8. LoneWolf says:

It seems that spammers will try to cram themselves in front of any audience that they can find. Hopefully they’ll find that Twitter is not a profitable market.

Twitter users have more control with it being an opt-in service and with good posts like yours the users will be more aware of what to avoid.

Good job Jesse.

9. jesse says:

Thanks for the comment LoneWolf. I enjoyed your post on TwiTip.com. It does a great job outlining many of the follower/followee dynamics.